This is just a friendly reminder, a PSA, if you will for those who believe they can live without a library this summer. Frankly, that idea looks preposterous in type. Must sound even more ridiculous if it were said out loud. It goes without saying that they will always be those who will argue until they are blue in the face that in fact they have lived without libraries and they are just fine thank you. No matter what is said to them, they will not be convinced. As difficult as it is to show a non library person that they are not truly alive until they go to a library, any library, it shall not stop the mission for going forward to pursued at least one to come over to the library side.
Without further ado, here are the top ten reasons why Everyone should go to the library this summer.
10. Libraries Welcome Browsers. No not the the Internet browsers. (Librarians like them too) In a library you can browse through the stacks for hours to find the right book and never be given a look that says, "Are you going to buy that or not?"
9. Librarians Make Better Searchers. It's not a brag or an exaggeration. Librarians are better researcher even if the only way to search is using digital rescues. If a patron can't find the information, who better to turn than the librarian, the original Search Engine.
8. You're Paying for It! Your tax dollars are already supporting the library. Might as well use up your portion of the resources.
7. Libraries Have Great Spots for Quiet Reading. If looking of that out of the way spot where it's just you and the book, the library has a wonderful quiet areas for the serious reader.
6. Where the Cook Kids Are Don't let the youngsters fool you. They don't wanna be a mall rat. No, they really want to go hang out with the cool kinds a the library. Libraries are perfect places to meet up with friends.
5. The Best Used Book Sale Around Most libraries will accept gently used books as donations. these books later fill up the used sale book racks where bargain hunters can find a good book for about a buck or two. Can't beat that price even at a second hand bookstore!
4 Got Kindle? Got Nook? Librareis have ebooks... really! The argument that libraries are for the old folks who can't let go of print is so off based. Libraries have gone digital just like the entire population. Just ask a librarian how to get hooked up and download to your heart's content.
3 When You're Spotted At the Library Everyone thinks You're Smart! Wasn't it always said that only the brainy guys in college went to the library? Going to the library instantly gets a person labeled as Book Smart. Now who couldn't use looking a little more intelligent once in a while?
2. Great Place for Family Day Out It's raining. It's Saturday. The kids are bored. What better place to find adventures than at the local library! There are so many things to check out. When was the last time the family whipped out a board game? Don't have one? Well go to the library they may have one that's just right for your family.
1 SUMMER READING PROGRAMS! This is by far the best reason to go to the library in the summer! Libraries have summer reading programs for every reader, toddlers, preschoolers, kids, teens and even adults. It's a wonderful way to remind everyone to slow down, enjoy summer and pick up a great book!
Convinced yet? Not to worry. This process of luring people back to the library is far from over. Give it time. After all there the entire summer to convince non-library people to discover what they have been missing. Come to think of it, there's the Fall as well!